09 August 2012

Greetings from Zurich!


Hello from Zurich! The flight from Chicago was pretty seamless.

Some highlights:
  1. Sufficiently accessed the money I had set aside on my Discover Card (no foreign transaction fees - win!)
  2. Purchased a day pass on the trains. So far, haven't gotten lost. 
  3. It's a beautiful day here! Sunny and mid-70s.
  4. Luxemburgerli - YUM.
  5. Although I don't know a lick of German, have been able to fake my way using some French-with-a-southern-drawl.
  6. Loving that nobody is on their phones. People are reading newspapers on benches and sipping espresso.
Some lowlights:
  1. Zurich is insanely beautiful. This isn't a lowlight in and of itself, but more as a cause-and-effect.
  2. Because of aforementioned beauty, I wasn't paying attention as I was walking because I was looking around, giddy with Euroglee.
  3. Because I was looking around, I didn't see the bench they had strategically placed in the middle of a sidewalk in front of a busy cafe.
  4. Insert me > tumbling over bench > like a somersault > but somewhat gracefully, I mean, really. As far as fully flipping over a cement bench can be graceful, I pulled it off.
  5. Insert silence of about 20 people outside of cafe and a gasp or two.
  6. Insert me saying, "I'm fine" in English instantly alerting people to my tourist status.
  7. Insert a rip on the one pair of nice jeans I brought on the trip. And a bruise on my knee.
Considering all that could have happened, I think I managed the unexpected gymnastics event fairly well. I simply stood up, swung my backpack back on (I somehow managed to escape both its shoulder straps), and swaggered on my way...like I fall down everyday.

Because in reality, I do. Seriously.

I am now sitting in a cafe (Ok, it's not a "cafe..." - it's a Starbucks. I've been to two other cafes today and I just needed familiarity. And consistent internet) in a beautiful district, attempting to stay awake and not be jealous of all the svelte, 6'1" supermodels who keep walking by.

In about 3 hours, I'll begin my journey back to the airport and leave for Johannesburg around 5 pm EST, or 11 pm here. Hopefully I won't make any scenes in South Africa.


6 comments:

  1. Hilarious! I love the comment "swaggered on my way like I fall down everyday." I can completely relate to this. I walked straight into a cement bench @ Victoria Island while looking at the beautiful scenery and I may or may not have been taking pictures. I didn't flip over the bench but I had a monstrous bruise. There is an art to making it look like "eh, no big deal." Glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to stop myself, but once I realized I was going down, I decided to just roll with it. Get it? Roll with it...oh, boy. I almost took a bow, but decided that was even a bit too obnoxious for my recently outed American sideshow.

      Delete
  2. I think i speak for all us, we consider you to be "super", model or no model! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graceful tumbling? Sounds to me like you were just getting into the Olympic spirit. All that was lacking was the presentation to the judges. Glad to hear you're all right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. prayer for humility/dependence answered...check...:) hmmm, now i'm praying for...

    ReplyDelete